Repeated reverse queries

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Aug 16 05:38:40 UTC 2001

> Hi. I'm using bind-8.2.3p5

	No such beastie.  There is a 8.2.2-P5 and if you are using
	that you should upgrade as soon as possible.
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

> on Linux 2.2 as a
> forwarding server to another similiar setup. For some
> reason I'm now finding dozens of consecutive entries
> of the following in the query logs:
>
> 16-Aug-2001 01:02:11.962 queries:
> XX+/64.58.76.225/225.76.58.64.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN
>
> Substituting the above for a real IP, it is always the
> IP of my forwarding server. They are generated at a
> very rapid rate in blocks of about 50 or so, then
> suddenly stop for a while only to occur again at no
> predetermined interval.

	Your server is most probably listed as being a server for
	a zone it is not configured for.  It forwarding the query
	and the forwarder is asking it creating a DNS storm.

	Mark