expedia.msn.com does not resolve

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 15 20:29:23 UTC 2001

Cinense, Mark wrote:

> >From inside the firewall expedia.msn.com does not resolve, however from
> outside the firewall it does.  If you try to resolve ibm.com, or hp.com it
> works.  I had networking sniff the packets, and could not find anything.
> Does someone have any ideas why this would happen?

Not sure. It took my nameserver more than 5 seconds to resolve that name. The
CNAME + 13 Answer A records + 12 NS records + 12 Additional A records of
course do not fit in a UDP packet and thus require a TCP retransmission.
Perhaps all of these retransmissions are overloading their nameservers
(?) I know that yesterday one of our mail servers (running a BIND 9
nameserver) stopped resolving the microsoft.com MX record altogether until
I bounced it. Something fishy is going on...

- Kevin