gettimeofday: tv_usec out of range

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 15 18:16:02 UTC 2001

    Roger> I got the following error message on one of our DNS servers
    Roger> which run BIND 8.2.4 on Solaris 8: named[132]: [ID 547062 daemon.error] gettimeofday: tv_usec out of range

Get Sun to fix their broken kernel. The gettimeofday() system call is
returning garbage: a number of microseconds that's either less than
zero or more than 1 million. There should be a patch for this. Ask Sun
support.

    Roger> It apparently even caused the machine to hang.

Unlikely. It's probably co-incidence that some other bug caused the
hang after the gettimeofday() call returned nonsense. I'd be surprised
if the hang was related to this minor kernel bug.