redirect web server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Aug 14 14:59:04 UTC 2001

In article <9ladq0$4g1 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, beni  <beni at cp.co.id> wrote:
>I have dns server with domain domain.com with ip public, and i have web
>server in other location with ip public, but no dns server in it.
>In domain.com of dns server, I set www IN A ipwebserver.
>Is it right way?  If it is wrong, how to i set redirect www?.

Is "ipwebserver" a name or IP address?  If it's the IP address, this is
correct.  It's not a redirect, it's just the address of www.domain.com.

If "ipwebserver" is a name, you should use a CNAME record to make an alias:

www IN CNAME ipwebserver
ipwebserver IN A 1.2.3.4

where 1.2.3.4 should be replaced with the IP address of the web server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA