Dan's "Ease of Use" Table, Redux (was Re: bind 8.2.4: limiting used memory?)

D. J. Bernstein 75628121832146-bind at sublist.cr.yp.to
Tue Aug 14 03:43:43 UTC 2001

Kevin Darcy writes:
> IMO, this is really the fault of the OS vendors, not BIND.

You didn't answer my question. Exactly what files does ISC need in the
chroot jail for its BIND 8.2.4 root server under Digital UNIX?

You said that my ``not thoroughly described in the BIND manual'' comment
was a ``cheap potshot.'' So why can't you answer this simple question?

Once again we find a serious annoyance for system administrators in the
system that you call ``seamless,'' while everything works smoothly in
the system that you call ``patchwork.''

> tail -f on the error log

That's a perfectly reasonable interpretation of ``Look for errors in
your system's logs.'' (Assuming, of course, that you know where the log
is, and that it isn't flooded by messages from some unrelated program.)

It's still an extra step, one that isn't necessary for djbdns.

> By the way, the new named-checkzone and named-checkconf utilities in BIND 9
> *do* in fact output their messages to the screen by default

That's inadequate. If named runs out of memory loading the new zone, for
example, how will you find out? You really need to learn something about
reliability, Kevin.

Anyway, running those utilities is still an extra step.

> the burden of having to download/build/install/configure/maintain an
> extra package

The upgrade procedure in http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/frombind.html already
takes care of everything. The ``extra'' installation is fast; the
configuration is handled automatically; there's nothing to maintain.

Why aren't you screaming about the BIND 9 ``burden'' of downloading,
building, installing, configuring, and maintaining OpenSSL?

---Dan