CNAME as @ line

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 13 23:47:58 UTC 2001

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <9l9na2$1t8 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jerry  <juanino at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >Hm. The problem I am trying to solve is where i need
> >to create some new zones with various mispellings of a
> >company name.  I wanted each of those @ lines for the
> >mispellings to point to a CNAME so that I could change
> >the CNAME at a later point in time without having to
> >change all the @ lines.  As it is now I hard coded it
> >to an ip which sucks because if they request to change
> >the ip of the webserver I have to edit all those files
> >(20 or more sometimes).  Any ideas?
>
> Stop calling it the "@ line".  @ is just a way to abbreviate the current
> origin in a zone file.
>
> Why don't you make all the zone statements point to the same filename?Just make
> sure all the names defined in the zone file are relative.

Absolute names work too, of course (e.g. the MX record for each zone apex points
to foo.bar.example.com. regardless of zone).

I sort of wish that named.conf supported a "batching" syntax to facilitate this
usage, e.g.

zone "example.com", "example.net", "example.org" {
    type master;
    file "db.example";
};

(Yeah, I know, BIND is open source, patches welcomed...)

- Kevin