FW: Problem resolving MX records

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 22:21:40 UTC 2001

John Straiton wrote:

> Sometimes (rarely) I'll try to send email to someone and the mail delivery
> will fail. The reason it fails is that my sendmail is unable to resolve an
> MX record for the target domain... In this case "@viafamily.com".

> viafamily.com ns.ratedg.com which resolves just fine.

> Thoughts?

When I looked the name server dns2-clt.ratedg.com was apparently
not answering, but pingable.

These name servers seem to exist in both 711.net and ratedg.com
(But the naming seems to be correct given that, although queries
will have to go around the houses a bit to figure out the
ns.711.net is the same as ns.ratedg.com, before it gets around
to asking for the name it needs).

The server "ns" appears to be running a version of BIND with a
known security vulnerability, which would be high on my list for
why dns2-clt is down (assuming it has the same BIND version as
ns).

The guts of the problem is that the gtld-servers are returning
an A of 38.182.40.13 for ns.711.net, when this is suppose to be
216.189.14.35 (According to ns.ratedg.com).

I assume that ns.711.net must be registered as a name server
with a registrar, so the gtld-servers will tell you the wrong
answer, rather than refer you to the servers that give you the
right answer.

All the SOA's are dated today - so perhaps they are mid move.

Anyway the problems don't look like they are anything to do with
you John, unless you happen to be responsible for 711.net as
well.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768