Dan's "Ease of Use" Table, Redux (was Re: bind 8.2.4: limiting used memory?)

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Aug 13 22:05:55 UTC 2001

>>>>> "djb" == D J Bernstein <75628121832146-bind at sublist.cr.yp.to> writes:

    djb> I'm simply correcting errors. It's not my fault that Knowles
    djb> keeps choosing this forum for his false statements about
    djb> djbdns.

His statements seem fairly true to most people here. And why should
you care what people say about djbdns here anyway. This is bind-users,
not djbdns-users. Presumably you and your acolytes already have their
own mailing list to reinforce your beliefs. And no doubt any BIND folk
would not be welcome on those lists.

    >> Every time you're asked fair but pointed questions about the
    >> deficiencies of djbdns you fail to answer and instead resort to
    >> insults.

    djb> When has that ever happened? Give us the complete quote.

How about: <75628121832146-bind at sublist.cr.yp.to> on July 25th 2001?
I quote you verbatim:
	"But you were perfectly happy to make a fool of yourself."
and
	"You are continuing to make a fool of yourself."
and
	"You are again making a fool of yourself."

Anyone who wants to see the complete article can retrieve it from the
list archives.

    djb> This message may be a helpful example. I'm answering your
    djb> contentions, by asking for details of the alleged events and
    djb> suggesting that your claims are fabrications.

And I've just supplied an example of your insults. In this case you
were insulting Kevin Darcy, not me BTW. It was the first example I
found in the list archives and only had to go back just over two weeks
to find it. There are no doubt more if I could be bothered to look
further. Go check the list archives yourself. Or maybe you'll insult
me for providing this proof of your ad hominem behaviour? I suppose
it's too much to expect you to publcily (a) apologise to Kevin; (b)
accept the fact you resort to ad hominem attacks and apologise for
falsely claiming otherwise.

    djb> The fact that you find my message insulting--- for example,
    djb> you seem to consider ``BIND company employee'' an insult---
    djb> doesn't make this an ad-hominem message: the insult is
    djb> accompanying, not replacing, the logical response.

Dan, your childish jibes at my affiliation do not bother me in the
slightest. As you know fine well. [Presumably you mean Nominum when
you refer to "the BIND company" and that's not at all insulting since
I work for them.] I don't consider these childish tantrums to be ad
hominen attacks or personally insulting. I'm proud to work for
Nominum. Frankly, I'm amazed that a university professor with a PhD
can behave like a toddler and resort to childish name-calling. Most
people grow out of that sort of silliness by the age of, oh 7 or 8. I
wonder what your faculty colleagues think of this behaviour. And why
are you incapable of referring to Nominum or the ISC by name?

Actually, I wish you really would insult me in public. It would be a
badge of honour. I'd be delighted to be subjected to a personal attack
by you so I could put it on a T shirt and wear it with pride. I'd even
get the shirts made up for my colleagues and we'll wear them for a
group photo. Go on, make my day. Pretty please.