Dan's "Ease of Use" Table, Redux (was Re: bind 8.2.4: limiting used memory?)

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 02:19:02 UTC 2001

"D. J. Bernstein" wrote:

> Consider, for example, ISC's f.root-servers.net, which reportedly uses
> BIND 8.2.4

dig +short @f.root-servers.net version.bind chaos txt
"8.2.3-REL"

BIND 9 is easy to chroot, as mentioned before, although I agree
the documentation could be better, I have the same feeling about
some other programs *8-)

Interestingly the RFC addressing root server management doesn't
mention chroot. I suspect with the root name servers it doesn't
matter as they are only suppose to offer the one service, and
your not going to muck around after a compromise, your just
going to redeploy a clean system.