Forward DNS Not Working (BIND 4.9.7-REL)

E. James Nagle jnagle at broadswift.net
Sat Aug 11 10:55:00 UTC 2001

Hello group!

I'm having a strange problem and have been working solidly on it for quite some time now:

Our server crashed and when we re-installed the previous back-up everything was fine except for our virtual domains would not work anymore.  I have checked all of the Apache config files and made sure virtual interfaces were set-up on the BSDi 4.0 Server.

Here is an example of the problem I am having:

su-2.01# nslookup dirtrace.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find dirtrace.com: Server failed

su-2.01# nslookup 207.68.69.104
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    dirtrace.com
Address:  207.68.69.104

Reverse dns seems to work fine - and I can even go to the IP through the web browser.  It gets a bit stranger - I can access the website also by going to http://race.app-net.com (a subdomain of the host's server).

If anyone has ANY suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

E. James Nagle
Appalachian Networks
www.app-net.com