How to send an update to servers that cached my dns info

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 21:28:59 UTC 2001

Igor10115 wrote:

Hi Igor,

long time no speak, my newgroup moderation box is still happily
running stump *8-)

We don't do "spam" traps as the newsgroup is also sent by
e-mail.

> I have a domain algebra.com. One host had to quickly change the ip address.
> Even though (I thought) I specified a short time to live:

The SOA doesn't define TTL on modern copies of BIND. Usually the
default is in the $TTL line at the start of the file.

Looking from here algebra.com has 7200 set as TTL on most
records.

> many nameservers apparently still have the old info in caches.
>
> Is there any tool to notify them of the change.

No - alas.

Also how would you find the caching name servers of all these
ISP's?

The AOL name servers listed by dig look not to be the caching
DNS servers.

> Does it mean that dsl.algebra.com expires in 5 days? Why would
> that be so?

Without the config files I wouldn't hazard a guess.

The delegation data lists ns5 and a classifiedmonster server.
The second of these isn't playing at the moment.

ns5 allows zone transfer.
oops "#" is not a comment character in a zone file, try ";"
Any reason for that PTR record? Just curious on that one.

	Keep up the good work,

	Simon