bind 8.2.4: limiting used memory?

D. J. Bernstein 75628121832146-bind at sublist.cr.yp.to
Thu Aug 9 18:21:34 UTC 2001

Michael Kjorling writes:
> what do you mean with ``upgraded domains''?

Domains for which the DNS server software is upgraded.

It would be foolish to count a BIND 4.9.6 server against djbdns. People
didn't have djbdns as an option when they installed BIND 4.9.6.

> Well, _sorry_, but I did read the instructions. I did follow them. I
> did run `config'.

No, you didn't follow the instructions.

qmail's INSTALL tells you to read INSTALL.ctl. INSTALL.ctl tells you to
run config-fast your.full.host.name ``so that qmail will accept mail for
your.full.host.name''---which is what you wanted. You didn't do that.

INSTALL.ctl later mentions config as an alternative ``which looks up
your host name in DNS'' and ``looks up your local IP addresses in DNS to
decide which hosts to accept mail for''---which isn't what you wanted.
The problem, of course, is that you never read INSTALL.ctl; you simply
ran the config script.

I realize, as I said before, that the qmail installation instructions
take several minutes to read. Quite a bit of my subsequent development
work has focused on reducing the amount of information that users need
to absorb before setting up my packages. You can see the results in
daemontools, for example, and in ucspi-tcp, and in djbdns.

http://cr.yp.to/compatibility.html

> you will find that setting up a zone with BIND is extremely easy

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/blurb/easeofuse.html

---Dan