installing bind 9

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Aug 9 00:42:17 UTC 2001

ais wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I wish there were more explicit instructions.
>
> OK so I will create named.conf manually. Should I be creating any other
> files?

You should be creating the zone files, of course. Also, unless you're using
forwarding, at a bare minimum you should have a "hints" file (although
I understand that named will use a compiled-in default set of Internet root
nameservers if you don't provide one).

> I know this sounds dumb, but how do I start named?

If your config file is at the pathname which is compiled into named
("/etc/named.conf" by default), then you should just be able to run the
"named" executable with no arguments. Otherwise, you'll need the
"-c" command-line option to tell it what config file to use. You'll need to
be superuser to start named, of course, since it binds to a privileged port.
But you can use the "-u {loginid}" option to make it drop its privileges
once it binds to that port.

- Kevin