BIND 9.1.2

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Aug 8 23:49:08 UTC 2001

First of all why use an old version? You'll probably want to go for
9.1.3 or even 9.2.0b2.

I started out at BIND 9.1.0, but when I upgrade from one release to a
newer one (or downgrade, for that matter - even that has happened), I
just (example for my latest upgrade):

	$ cd bind-9.2.0b2
	$ ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc \
	> --localstatedir=/var --with-libtool --disable-threads
	$ make
	$ rndc stop
	$ su
	# make install
	# /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start
	# tail /var/log/messages /var/named/log/debug.log
	# dig ... [a few names, both mine and others]
	# exit
	$

(I left the output out here for clarity's sake.) Assuming the logs
show no errors and dig works and gives the expected results, I
consider the upgrade done. If something goes wrong, I just:

	$ rndc stop
	$ su
	# cd ../bind-9.1.3
	# make install
	# /etc/rc.d/init.d/named start
	# exit
	$

Keeping the old source code tree in compiled form means it just takes
seconds to issue a `make install', so the downtime is kept at an
absolute minimum. You can hardly beat this with working with a test
copy of the software, configuration and zone files. (You need to get
them in place at some point in time, at which point you'll also need
to modify the configuration. Also, getting two copies of BIND to
coexist without having a spare [virtual] interface is tricky.)

And all that said, the strict checks that BIND enforces on the zone
files are only a good thing to adapt to, even if you are not planning
to upgrade from BIND 8.x.x any time soon.

Michael Kjörling

On Aug 8 2001 19:28 -0400, digitalfrontier wrote:

> I am already running BIND 8.2.4, can I download and install BIND 9.1.2
> and run it...
>
> I will stop BIND 8.2.4
> Install BIND 9.1.2 in different dir and configure it and run it...if all
> fails,..i can just start up my BIND 8.2.4
>
> I would rather test 9.1.2 first,..before purging my OLD bind...
>
> Is this possible???,..i will just copy my zone files and named.conf file
> over and edit them for bind 9.1.2

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****