Having problems resolving...

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 17:25:09 UTC 2001

James Stansfield wrote:

>     Here is a snapshot of my BIND config:

>         category default { null; };

Do you think this will help debug you system?

> zone "." in {
>         type hint;
>         file "named.ca";
> };

What is in "named.ca"?

Do you have a firewall?
If yes, does it allow queries from this servers to all DNS
servers the world over?

"Best Practise" is not to use the same name server to serve
data, as is used to cache requests (Or at least stop
unauthorised people being able to issue arbitary queries to your
server).

Probably unrelated, and possibly more important.....

For iridani.com I note that ns.istop.com is giving
non-authoritative answers, and these are different to the server
dns.iridani.com......

Name resolution here only seems to work for iridani.com about
one time in two.

"DOC" gave up - bet you can't fix that one Brad *8-)

Hope the e-mail makes it.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768