bind 9.1.3 install

ais ais at a-i-s.net
Tue Aug 7 12:20:29 UTC 2001

Hi,

I could do with a little help.

First point to note this is my my very first attempt to setup/run a
nameserver i.e. assume extremely limited knowledge (although I've done lots
of reading I have no practical experience).

I run a virtual server. It is basically much like a dedicated server except
for the dir structure
i.e. /usr/local for me is /usr/home/login/usr/local

It runs on FreeBSD/Apache

Here's what I've done.
- I downloaded bind-9.1.3
- I uploaded it onto my server into /usr/local/temp
- With telnet I ran % tar -xvzf bind-9.1.3 from within the above dir which
created a sub dir bind-9.1.3
- in the dir bind-9.1.3 I edited the configure file as follows :

   1.  ac_default_prefix=/usr/home/login/usr/local
    2. exec_prefix=/usr/home/login/usr/local/bind
    3. prefix=/usr/home/login/usr/local

I then ran the following :
    1. ./configure
    2. make
    3. make install

Everything seems to go fine except some files seem to be missing like the
named.conf and named.pid

This is in the configure file :

# To put named.conf and named.pid in /usr/local with everything else,
# set the prefix explicitly to /usr/local even though that's the default:
# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local

which I've done, but I cannot find these files.

A second point - could someone please confrim that if I specify a
location/dir and it does not exist, that the install process does not create
it and have to first manually create the dir.

TIA for any help.
ais