Static entries and forwarding for the same zone???!!

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 16:43:14 UTC 2001

kshong wrote:

> A site administrator wants me to setup both static entries and 'type
> forward;' for the same zone. This means that bind has to resolve some dns
> names from a file and if it can't find the answer there, it will forward the
> query to another dns server. do you think it's possible???!! *scratching
> head*

I am sure it is possible - whether you can stay standard
conforming at the same time is another question. I've seen a lot
of site who THINK they have done something like this *8-(.

Don't go there.

A design assumption of the DNS was that everyone has the same
view of the DNS.

Whilst I think it's okay to keep your internal names a secret,
anything beyond this tends to lead to chaos....

What are you really trying to achieve?