One last W2K / Active Directory / BIND question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Aug 6 14:56:34 UTC 2001

Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net> replied:
>If this is a static IP address in the example.com domain, why not add it
>yourself?
>That should stop the update attempts.

That will NOT stop the update attempts.  The netlogon process in W2k
will attempt to re-register is records every hour.  The code does not
check to see if the "A" record or SRV records still exist in DNS.

I ignore these "denied update" records in my BIND syslog.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov