BIND NEWB

Erik Aronesty erik at primedata.org
Fri Aug 3 15:10:01 UTC 2001

Dear Jason,

I hope this answers some of your questions.

- The COM/NET/ORG registry (VeriSign) will not let you set up more than one
nameserver per IP address.  This is, in most cases, a good restriction as it
prevents proliferation of DNS servers in the root, and simplifies
administration.

- The "@Home Nameserver" (cc1086669-b.wlgrv1.pa.home.com) that you are using
for "ns1.latonio.com" should be
able to respond for all 4 domains.  You don't need special nameservers for
each.  One nameserver can handle traffic for many domain names and point
them to the same place or different places, as needed.

- However, it looks like the zone for www.latonio.com is unusual and
probably incorrect (no SOA record at the zone top, no IP address for the
root of the zone).
You may want to ditch the "@Home nameserver" altogether unless you can
either A) configure it yourself or B) contact them and get them to fix it
(possibly: hostmaster at home.net)

- If you get the single @Home servers to work, just set the nameservers for
all 4 domains to ns1.latonio.com.  And if you want reliability, you can then
set up your BIND installation to slave (pull data from ns1, so you only have
to maintain records in one place).

   Here's an example SLAVE entry that you can add to your named.conf file
(I'm still a BIND 8.X user)

   zone "latonio.com" {type slave; masters {24.37.37.149;}; file
"/var/named/latonio.net.dom";};

- Alternatively, if this is a limited installation, you can easily get
free/low cost DNS service from many firms (www.google.com search for "free
dns").

            - Erik