Named error in syslog

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Aug 1 23:07:36 UTC 2001

In article <9k9bam$nea at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Alessandro Vercelli <alever at libero.it> wrote:
>Good mornig,
>I frequently see an error in syslog file, saying 'Err/TO getting serial#
>for' followed by a sub-domain name; the system (SCO unixware 7.1.1) is
>made of a master dns and some slaves; everything is working well, I
>checked all serials by they are ok, but I'd like to know about this
>error.

The English translation of that error message is "I was trying to query the
master to get the serial number of the XXX domain, but I got an error or
the connection timed out."

Often shortly after the first Err/TO log message there will be a log
message with a more specific explanation of the problem, like:

named-xfer[17696]: connect(4.23.73.56) for zone XXX failed: Connection timed out

The latter type of message will only show up once for the duration of the
problem, while the Err/TO messages will show up every time it tries to
query the master (after an error, this frequency is controlled by the Retry
setting in the zone's SOA record).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA