Nameserver question...

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Aug 1 10:10:23 UTC 2001

Why do you want to do it this way? I would certainly feel more
comfortable with knowing that there is at least one off-site DNS
server (I personally have ulv.mcpoolen.se, varg.mcpoolen.se and
ns1.web.tf which is in the process of being changed to
socal.wolf.com).

That set aside, I belive I read somewhere that NS records should not
point to CNAMEs. Don't ask me for the technical discussion behind this
(I am sure others here can fill in that gap), but I think it might
have to do with that a CNAME query response (that is, you ask for a NS
and get a CNAME _and_ a NS) is significantly longer than a single NS
response, meaning that you run the risk of hitting the UDP boundary
and the query has to be restarted using TCP - or a second query has to
be issued for the response to be usable. Which of course means you
need to find the name servers for the domain the CNAME points to
first.

Michael Kjörling

On Jul 31 2001 19:29 -0700, meliorasf wrote:

> I am using someone else's NS server (ns1.otherdomain.com) for my
> secondary/slave DNS, but I would like my domain name registrar's records
> to list NS servers with my domain name suffix only, even if they resolve
> elsewhere.
>
> So instead of having my NS servers listed with my registrar as...
>
> ns1.mydomain.com
> ns2.mydomain.com
> ns1.otherdomain.com
>
> ...I would like to have them listed as...
>
> ns1.mydomain.com
> ns2.mydomain.com
> ns3.mydomain.com
>
> ...where ns3.mydomain.com is just a CNAME set up in my DNS that points
> to ns1.otherdomain.com (assuming permission granted to do so by
> otherdomain.com admin).
>
> My feeling is that this is not the right way to set it up, but I was
> unable to find any FAQs or other info specifically about it.
>
> Any help appreciated...

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****