Cache only NS out of RedHat Box

Adam Williams awilliams at rolemodelsoft.com
Mon Apr 30 19:47:29 UTC 2001

Hello all.

I just installed Redhat Linux 7.1 and chose the server configuration. I
also opted to install the DNS service. RedHat supplies a .rpm to enable
a cache only server. It came with bind 9.1.0.

It didn't work "out of the box". I added

forward first;
forwarders {
        123.456.789.1;
        etc...
};

to the options section of named.conf. I could then tell clients to use
my server exclusively and then it would work.

It _seems_ as though named is not using the named.ca hint file. While
looking at the DNS_HOWTO (which covers bind8), I learned that the server

should work without these forward additions. It didn't. Also, when I
dig, I notice that I never get an authoritative answer for a first time
query (I think all of my answers come from one of the servers in
forwarders {}).

Has anyone experience this with bind9? I don't think I'm caching.

Adam Williams
RoleModel Software