named

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Apr 27 20:41:25 UTC 2001

    Mikael> Hi everybody, I've just install a new redhat 7.1 box and I
    Mikael> am trying to make bind works on it ..

    Mikael> When I try to start named I've got this error:

    Mikael> starting BIND 9.1.0

Upgrade to 9.1.1. There are threading bugs in 9.1.0.

    Mikael> couldn't open pid file '/var/run/named/named.pid': Permission denied exiting (due
    Mikael> to early fatal error)

    Mikael> I've checked the rights for '/var/run/named/named.pid' but
    Mikael> it seems to be ok,

If the name server is getting an EPERM error -- permission denied --
it means the access permissions on the file are not correct. The
operating system won't return that error unless access is denied. That
will only happen for a good reason, like incorrect file ownership or
access permissions. Does the UID of the named process *really* have
permission to create or write this file?

Oh and don't put NOSPAM nonsense in your mail headers. This is very
anti-social on a mailing list. [comp.protocols.dns.bind is gatewayed
both ways into bind-users at isc.org.] It doesn't prevent or reduce spam
either. All you do is annoy anyone who tries to reply to your
question.