forwarding to a child zone is different!!

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 25 02:04:47 UTC 2001

I don't think we should get too dogmatic about this separation. The choice of
whether a particular zone should be served authoritatively or not on a given
nameserver is often influenced by a variety of factors. All my plant
DNS servers, for instance, are slaves for all of the chrysler.com zones, for
purposes of redundancy, performance, etc. but not for most of the
daimlerchrysler.com, cfc.com, mbcc.com zones, etc., because those are
infrequently accessed from the plants, if at all. The few queries I get in
those zones on those servers isn't worth incurring the zone-transfer
overhead. So am I "clueless" because I'm effectively mixing authoritative
with non-authoritative data, recursing some of the time but not always? I
don't think so (obviously). I'm just tuning my nameservers to my local usage
patterns.

- Kevin