Screwy authoritative servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 24 02:41:43 UTC 2001

My guess is that they just search the Net for nameservers which have
recursion open and list those servers in their delegation records. Then
they poke those servers periodically to ensure that the answer for
"www.credit---cards.net" or whatever is always in their cache. If one
server breaks this scheme by restricting recursion, then they just find
another and update their delegations accordingly. As long as the answer is
in most of the caches at any given time, the scheme will work.

Disgusting.

The way to break these folks is for all of those delegated nameservers to
actually *define* their own credit---cards.net zone. They could just simply
have an *empty* zone, or they could put malicious content in there (e.g. an
A record for a website which denounces spammers). BIND 9's "view" mechanism
could probably be employed to fool the spammer into thinking that the
scheme was working even if wasn't (i.e. put the spammer's source IPs in a
separate, deluded "view" of the zone)... :-)

- Kevin