Web URL's use wildcards?

David R. Kirk david at kirks.org
Mon Apr 23 21:51:31 UTC 2001

Tom,

Try setting up A records for your domain as follows ...

<Assume properly formed SOA here>
            IN        A        123.45.67.89
www    IN        A        123.45.67.89

... which should direct packets intended either for domain.com
or www.domain.com to the 123.45.67.89 address (of course,
insert your correct IP address above).

All of the rewrites and such of the names would be done by your
web server, of course.

Tom Yerex <nospam_tomyerex at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e0_E6.12420$iw5.1871213 at news0.telusplanet.net...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a root domain within our DNS server that will direct
> traffic to our Web server even when a visitor neglects to use "www".
>
> For example, www.ibm.com and ibm.com will both direct a visitor to IBM's
Web