lots of UDP connections

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Apr 23 16:37:35 UTC 2001

    Robert> After having run DNS and httpd for a few days, everything
    Robert> was fine, until I noticed a "butt load" of udp connections
    Robert> open.

There's no such thing as a UDP connection. It's a datagram protocol.
You say there's a "butt load of UDP connections open" -- I presume you
meant UDP sockets. But you've said nothing to indicate whether those
sockets have anything to do with your name server or DNS in general.

The name server creates two sockets for each network interface, one
for UDP and one for TCP queries. This is normal behaviour. So if you
have lots of (virtual) network interfaces you see lots of open sockets
for inbound queries. The listen-on clause can be used to tell the name
server which interfaces to use.