Question about name resolution for multi-homed machines

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 20 02:03:35 UTC 2001

Is it sufficient for both addresses to be returned in the response, but with the
order of the addresses determined by the source address of the client, e.g. clients
on 10.*.*.* will get the 10.0.0.5 address first, clients on 192.168.*.* will get
the 192.168.0.5 address first? If so, then this is fairly easy to implement with
the "sortlist" option in BIND.

If you really truly need to give out different answers to different clients, then
BIND 9's "view" mechanism can be used to accomplish this, but you'll have to
maintain two different copies of the same zone.

- Kevin