Question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Apr 19 13:04:44 UTC 2001

"Federico Bockel" <fbockel at arnet.com.ar> wrote:

>I am getting a lot of these errors on my primary ns.
>What this error means and how can i know to what zone its related?
>Thanks
>
>        Federico Bockel
>
>Apr 18 21:25:14.783 update: info: dynamic update failed: 'RRset exists (value dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

Look at RFC 2136 (DDNS); it explains the workings of dynamic DNS;
you will find the definition of NXRRSET therein.  Basically, someone
has sent a DDNS packet to your server, and one of the pre-requisite
conditions in that packet is not satisfied, so BIND cannot complete
the DDNS request.  I would expect that following these messages
would be another message detailing which zone was being updated and
by whom, although since we do not allow DDNS on our BIND master, I
have no experience with the NXRRSET message.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov