address resolution & reverse

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 18 22:59:08 UTC 2001

Jim Pazarena wrote:

> May thnaks for your response.. I almost gave up.
>
> After more careful scrutiny, I see that the exact IPs people are trying
> to reverse resolve are IPs to which I have do not have direct control over.
>
> Specifically.
>     I control the range 209.53.238/24 and it reverse maps fine.
>     My web server is remotely located at  64.69.87.111
>     I've got the forward reference setup in *my* DNS of
>     www.qcislands.net  IN A   64.69.87.111  since I control "qcislands.net"
>
> and the agency hosting my machine has the reverse IP setup in their DNS
> since the actual IP addresses are theirs.
>
> Why would *any* server be hitting *my* DNS server for reverse mapping
> of 64.69.87.111 ?

Probably just a broken resolver implementation, or one which
"opportunistically" hopes that the same authoritative server(s) host the forward
and reverse zones (thus short-circuiting the process of following referral chains
in many cases).

> I don't have a zone setup for "111.87.69.64.in-addr.arpa" in *my* DNS
> because it's not my range.
>
> I've got remote querying of REMOTE IPs denied in my named.conf.
>
> How can I permit remote queries to this specific IP while denying
> remote queries of remote IPs in general?

You could arrange to set yourself up as a master or slave for those
addresses/ranges. In the case of master, you'd have to have some way of keeping the
data up-to-date.

- Kevin