CNAME Configuration Behaviour

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 18 20:52:27 UTC 2001

You could look at the config file. Recursion is on globally by default; if you
have a "recursion no" option, or any "allow-recursion" ACLs, then recursion is
limited or disabled completely.

Another way is to do a query with "dig" and see if the "ra" (Recursion
Available) flag is set on the response. In "nslookup", you'll need to set
"debug" on and look for the presence or absence of "recursion avail." in the
"header flags" of the response.

- Kevin