this should be simple

joseph lang tcnojl1 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 11:06:10 UTC 2001

Pumpkinhead wrote:

> i'm banging my head on this one.  can't see straight anymore.
>
> Linux box is a nameserver for papa.foo.bar (call it ns-papa)
>
> It does resolve names in that domain.
>
> This same box has a second nameserver for hosts on tango.foo.bar (call
> it ns-tango)
>
> It cannot resolve names in that domain.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> search papa.foo.bar tango.foo.bar
> nameserver <ip for ns-papa>
> nameserver <ip for ns-tango>
>
> nslookup works for hosts on papa whether I specify the domain or not
> (as expected) but whether I specify the domain for hosts on tango or
> not I get:
>
> *** <localhost name> can't find <remote host on tango.foo.bar>:
> Non-existent host/domain
>
> BUT when I tell it to use ns-tango explicitly ( % nslookup - <ip for
> ns-tango> )  it's OK.  My understanding is that the second server will
> be queried when the first does not have the answer.  What gives?

you understand incorrectly, the second server will be used ONLY
if the first does not respond, Non-existent host/domain is a
response,resolution complete!

> How can other programs function if the namserver must be given
> explicitly?

if your servers are for internal users do a zone transfer so
both servers have both zones.
If your servers are external (internet) check your domain
registration make sure your NS registrations match your servers.
with fake names like foo.bar , we can't tell what you're trying
to do.

joe lang