Do i need reverse dns lookup ???

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Apr 18 09:57:19 UTC 2001

At 3:27 PM +0530 4/18/01, Parvez Lanewala wrote:

>  i'm new with configuring DNS. i wanted to confirm whether i need a
>  reverse IP/DNS lookup for the server to run "named". when i put the IP
>  address of our server in arin/whois it gives me the netblock in which
>  the ip address lies.

	If you're going to be running a nameserver for a gTLD domain,
then yes -- you probably do need reverse DNS to be set up correctly.
Of course, in that case you'll actually need at least two nameservers
running on separate machines (perhaps one is yours and the other
might be provided by your ISP).

	If you're not going to be running a nameserver for a gTLD domain,
then technically you probably do not need reverse DNS to be set up
for your nameserver, but I would strongly encourage you to go ahead
and get it set up anyway.

	IMO, having proper reverse DNS set up for all servers, especially
nameservers, is a hallmark of proper network & domain administration.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */