Re-Post: CNAME Configuration Behaviour

Stephen Jacob Stephen.Jacob at nominum.com
Mon Apr 16 21:39:50 UTC 2001

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 01:51:07PM -0700, Ravi Kondamuru wrote:
> I dont think I quite follow what you are saying. There is no breaking of
> heirarchy that has happened, as I see it.
> The name servers for cs.abc.com are defined in the abc.com name server,
> which is where they should be.
> The A record for www.cs.abc.com is with the name server of cs.abc.com, which
> is where it should be.

Excuse me. My mistake. I didn't read closely enough. You are indeed
correct. I see no problem with www.abc.com (defined on the abc.com
nameservers) being a CNAME for www.cs.abc.com (defined on the
cs.abc.com nameservers).

> its just that in the name server for domain abc.com, there is an entry
> www.abc.com		1D IN CNAME www.cs.abc.com
> Is this breaking any of the name server rules? saying the name is actually
> an alias of name in the sub-domain?
<snip>

There shouldn't be any problem with that.

Regards,
sj
--
 Stephen Jacob | Stephen.Jacob at nominum.com | +1 650 381 6051