Sub Domain Delegation (newbie)

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Apr 16 15:57:06 UTC 2001

"DJM" <djmiller at msn.com> wrote:

>main.rod.com is running BIND 9.1.  Perhaps I should've specified.
>
>mustang.hot.rod.com can resolve its own address fine, so that Windows DNS
>appears to be working.  The issue is that all my clients point to
>main.rod.com as their DNS, and when I try from, say, iron.rod.com to look up
>mustang.hot.rod.com, main.rod.com says it's an unknown host.
>
>I'm hoping someone could give me an example of how to set this up (getting
>BIND to forward requests for a subdomain to that server), because all the
>documentation I've managed to find (including HOWTOs) either gloss over this
>information or don't mention it at all.

I believe you need a glue record.  You have to tell the DNS server(s)
that are authoritative for

     main.rod.com

what DNS server(s) are authoritative for the sub-domain

     mustang.main.rod.com

We have a domain

   xxx.anl.gov

where the administrator did not need DDNS for his windows workstations,
but wanted Win2k.  So, I placed the four "_" zones on a Win2k DNS
server, and I added the following lines to the xxx.anl.gov zone on the
master DNS:

     ; We do not need dynamic DNS for the xxx W2k machines.
     ; But the DCs will need DDNS for the four "_" zones, so we place
     ; those zones on the MS W2k DNS computer.   --BSFinkel 02/26/2001
     _msdcs          IN      NS      w2kdns.anl.gov.
     _sites          IN      NS      w2kdns.anl.gov.
     _tcp            IN      NS      w2kdns.anl.gov.
     _udp            IN      NS      w2kdns.anl.gov.

Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov