DNS alias found where canonical name expected errors...

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Sun Apr 15 01:56:11 UTC 2001

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, jschultz wrote to:

> Hey guys, I know this question was asked and answered before but I'm
> still having problems with looking up machine names that have chains
> of CNAMEs.
> [snip]

Is there any particular reason for wanting to keep the CNAME chain?  I
don't think CNAME chains are illegal, but they can cause problems as
you've discovered. Instead of agonizing over ways to make BIND ignore the
problem, why not eliminate the problem?  You apparantly have something
like this in the zone file for cs.jhu.edu:

web.cs.jhu.edu.     IN A      128.220.13.101
condor.cs.jhu.edu.  IN CNAME  web.cs.jhu.edu.
www.cs.jhu.edu.     IN CNAME  condor.cs.jhu.edu.

Simply change it to this:

web.cs.jhu.edu.     IN A      128.220.13.101
condor.cs.jhu.edu.  IN CNAME  web.cs.jhu.edu.
www.cs.jhu.edu.     IN CNAME  web.cs.jhu.edu.

And the problem goes away.

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
320 York Road
Towson, Maryland 21204-5179 U.S.A.