CNAME Configuration Behaviour

Ravi Kondamuru ravisai at netscaler.com
Sat Apr 14 01:27:59 UTC 2001

Hi everyone,

I am trying to configure my DNS. Here is what I am trying to do.

I am trying to alias www.abc.com to www.cs.abc.com

The problem is arising as cs.abc.com is a delegated sub-domain to a
different name server.

When I request for www.abc.com and see the DNS queries on a sniffer trace,
here is what I observe.

The abc.com nameserver returns a Answer Record, saying that www.abc.com is
www.cs.abc.com. and gives the IP address of ns.cs.abc.com, which is the
nameserver of the delegated sub-domain. But the client name server doesnt
send a query to ns.cs.abc.com to figure out the IP address of
www.cs.abc.com.

Can anyone please point out if this is a problem with the client name server
or with the name server configuration on any of the two nameserver
ns.abc.com, ns.cs.abc.com

Configuration on ns.abc.com (name server for abc.com)

www			1D IN CNAME www.cs
cs			1D IN NS	ns.cs
ns.cs			1D IN A		1.2.3.4

Configuration on ns.cs.abc.com (name server for the sub-domain cs.abc.com)

www			1D IN A 2.3.4.5
ns			1D IN A 1.2.3.4

thanks for any pointers about issues in the concept, or configuration and
your time,
- Ravi.
Ravi Kondamuru
NetScaler Inc

He who fears something gives it power over him.