Zone Transfer Request by Primary DNS Server

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Thu Apr 12 19:07:51 UTC 2001

Earlier today, I configured our secondary DNS servers with an ACL to further
restrict who can perform zone transfers from our secondary DNS servers
within our lab.  Additionally, I've also had logging set up on the servers
to log any failed dynamic update attempts, failed zone transfers, etc.

One interesting thing I've noted since I put the ACL's into effect is a
failed attempt by my primary DNS server to do a zone transfer from one of
the secondaries.  Contents of the error log appear below.  What is troubling
me is why the primary would be attempting to do a zone transfer in the first
place when it is primary for all the zones.  Any insight anyone has into
this would be greatly appreciated.

 (acl)
12-Apr-2001 14:24:02.433 denied AXFR from [128.244.197.22].61286 for
"jhuapl.edu
" (acl)

Thanks,

Bill