Two forwarders in my internals name servers

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 11 23:14:53 UTC 2001

Miriam Benham wrote:

> it is not just by the browser, it also happens when I do nslookup from the
> command line in my windows machine.

It could affect any DNS resolver in the same way.

> By the way my dns in the public segment are running 8.2.3 and in the
> internal 8.1.2. Do you think this is an issue.

Running a root-exploitable nameserver is unwise, even if it's "internal".

Since BIND 8.2.3 may alleviate your forwarder-failover problem, I think it's
worth upgrading, regardless of the security implications. Why not kill two
birds with one stone?

- Kevin