how to start named?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Apr 11 19:24:35 UTC 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 11:55:21AM -0700, Norman Zhang wrote:
> I just install a fresh bind-9.1.1 on my Linux Mandrake 7.2. I don't have any
> previous version of bind installed except the bind utilities for looking up
> named servers. My question is how do I setup inetd to start named? Would
> someone please give me a few pointers on what entries that I need to put
> into /etc/inetd.conf? The named daemon is found in /usr/local/sbin. TIA.

No, you don't put anything into /etc/inetd.conf.  You make sure that
there is a 'named' script under /etc/rc.d somewhere [it seems that
different distributions have different setups for this], and that you
have a symbolic link under /etc/rc.d/rc3.d [again modulo your distri-
bution's setup] that starts with 'S' and has a two-digit index that is
HIGHER than that for 'inet', and points back to the 'named' startup
script mentioned earlier in this all-too-long sentence.

Didn't we just discuss this fifteen minutes ago on this mailing list?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B