2 different networks under same domain

darcy w. christ darcy at elegant.com
Wed Apr 11 19:11:24 UTC 2001

hi,

  i'm having trouble understand how to setup my nameserver(s).
Presently, i have two nameservers - one that represents an internel
network (using reserved ip addresses) and another one which is
representing the domain for the outside world on public ip addresses.
One of the ways that i have dealt with this scenerio is to have the
outside server resolve itself (ie. use resolv.conf) to point to the
internal dns and the internal dns points to the outside dns and beyond.
This enables me to sit on the outside machine and see both networks
under the same domain.

  my problem is that i have two different programs running on the
outside machine.  One requires the resolv.conf file to point to itself,
while the other program requires that it point internally (so that it
can resolve the internal network).  So, what i am wondering is whether
this is a better way to do what it is i am doing.  i hope i being
clear.  Basically i would like the external machine to be able to
resolve any machine on this domain, whether it is on the internal or the
external network, without publishing the internal network to the world.

  i appreciate any thoughts or advice on the matter.

--
~darcy w. christ
Elegant Communications Inc.