startup, boot vs manually

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Apr 11 18:42:07 UTC 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:33:02PM +0200, Benarson Behajaina wrote:
> I'm running BIND 9.1.0 on Linux 2.2.16, SuSE 7.0
> I have problem with BIND run from boot  ( /etc/rc.d/named )
>
> - When named is starded at boot time, my name server
> could not determine IP addresses of hosts which are not in my zone
> i.e. hosts not in /etc/domain/company.xy
>
> e.g: nslookup myhost.mydomain (works)
> e.g: nslookup www.cisco.com (doesn't work)
> but  ping 198.133.219.25 (works)
>
> - When I restart the named (manually) with the following command:
> /etc/rc.d/named stop
> /etc/rc.d/named start
>
> everything works fine.
>
> So, what's is the difference between starting BIND
> at boot time and manually ?

Well, it sounds like when 'named' is starting up, it's trying to reach
all of the root servers and failing.  So, maybe you are starting it
before the Ethernet interfaces are enabled!

If you have, e.g., /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S50inet as your symbolic link to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/inet, then you should have /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S55named as
your symlink to /etc/rc.d/init.d/named [I hope].  Nothing lower than 50!

HTH - Hope this helps.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B