HELP* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *HELP

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Apr 11 07:45:47 UTC 2001

>        I am running redhat 6.2 with sendmail 8.9.3
> Have the following 3 problems
>
> 1.   when checking messages,  or sending messages it takes about 20 seconds
> for any process to be executed. When I telnet on port 25 I get:
> 220 tua.cc ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:42:03 -0700
> about 20 seconds later
>     The hardware is adaquate, the connection is cablemodem to cablemodem,
> this problem exists to both my inside users and ouside users (firewall)

	Fix 2 then think about this.

> 2.  I recieve some mail but others bounds, for example I send and email to
> ataheri at tua.cc from a hotmail account and I get it, but when I send a
> message to ataheri at tua.cc froma a yahoo account, it bounces back stating
> "unknown host."   The DNS servers is also running on the same machine, the
> DNS seems to be working properly, but I am not an expert on DNS.

	You are running a nameserver with known exploits. See:
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html

	Secondly read the logs from the nameserver when it starts up
	and fix the errors reported.  You nameserver in not authoratative
	as a result of these.  BIND 8.2.3 and BIND 9.x won't serve
	the zone if they detect errors so it is wise to check and fix
	any errors after every configuration change.

	Thirdly, the point of multiple nameservers is to provide
	redundancy.  There is no redunancy here

	ns1.tua.cc.             55m11s IN A     207.202.218.95
	ns2.tua.cc.             55m11s IN A     207.202.218.95

> 3. I have an alias aiden at persianprince.com that forwards all emails to
> ataheri at tua.cc, when I send a message from hotmail to
> aiden at persianprince.com I dont recieve and email's bouncing but I also don't
> recieve the email in the ataheri at tua.cc account either, I have checked the
> maillog file and have not seen any errors, of course I am not sendmail
> expert either
>
> Is there a DNS setting I am missing?
> My current settings are
>
> tua.cc.      MX   5     tua.cc.