upgrade to 4.9.8

Kenneth Kalan kgk at northwestern.edu
Tue Apr 10 12:51:19 UTC 2001

I've looked through the archives but could not find what I was looking
for.  Hopefully someone can help.

I have inherited an old machine running SunOS 4.1.4 and bind 4.9.7.  I want
to upgrade to 4.9.8 but space is really tight and I can't afford any down
time.

I have done "make links" and "make all" (could not get "make depend" to
work).  I've tried "make -n install" and it appears that it would install
everything in the correct place but the document mentions that perhaps I
would rather install by hand.  Since space is so tight, I was wondering
what actually changed from 4.9.7 to 4.9.8.  Can I get away with only
changing one or two files, or does the entire package need to be
installed?  I found the old src for 4.9.7 and was careful to modify the
"makefile" and the "options.h" files so they would have the same mods. as
the old 4.9.7 version, and they should have compiled the same.

Upgrading to 8.xx or 9.1.1 is not an option at this time.  I want to get a
new server and do the upgrade at that time, instead of fooling around with
this old box, especially since space is so tight.

Thanks

Ken

Kenneth Kalan
McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
Technical Support Consultant
kgk at northwestern.edu