DNS Records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 6 19:18:05 UTC 2001

Adam Lang wrote:

> I'm sort of iffy on what is and isn't good practice.
>
> I have a server that houses email and web.  Say the hostname is bush.  Is it
> ok to do something like this:
>
> bush     A    38.138.71.194
> www    cname    bush
> mail        cname    bush
>             mx    bush
>
> That way, if I ever separate the servers, I just change what the cname
> points to?  Or should I have individual A records for each of them?

You have broken the "CNAME and other data" rule. "mail" owns a CNAME record,
therefore it cannot own a record of any other type.

What exactly were you trying to accomplish, anyway, by making "mail" *both* a
CNAME for "bush" *and* an MX record with "bush" as its target?

Of course, the syntax for the MX record is hosed also. You forgot the
preference-value field.

- Kevin