Split DNS and FAQ

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Apr 6 18:56:59 UTC 2001

Okay, after reading that FAQ entry *in*context*, I see that they're
talking about a split DNS setup with the "private" DNS forwarding to a
"public" DNS. I configure things differently: I run both the private and
public instances on the firewall, with the public instance non-recursive
and the private instance configured like a normal caching server except
with apex stub zones for the internal domains. Remember, of course, that
with a proxy-type firewall (as we have), there is very little reason for
normal internal clients to have to resolve Internet addresses. The
"private" instance is mainly for the use of the firewalls themselves.

I suppose if your "private" DNS were behind the firewall and unable to
contact other nameservers on the Internet, you might *have* to forward,
for it to be able to resolve Internet names. In which case, both of
those "should"s are still inappropriate, since you have no choice in the
matter.

- Kevin