help with unwanted reverse DNS's please???

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 5 19:58:00 UTC 2001

If you're using an /etc/hosts file to reverse-resolve the addresses, then
this has nothing to do with DNS.

Are you actually getting connections from the 192.168.*.* addresses, or
from NAT'ed addresses? In either case, you need to ensure that whatever
resolution mechanism (DNS, /etc/hosts file) you're using to
reverse-resolve those addresses to names, knows about the source
addresses from which you're getting connections. My guess is that you're
getting connections from NAT'ed addresses that aren't in your /etc/hosts
file, so they're being looked up in DNS and getting resolved from your
ISP's nameservers.

-Kevin