TTL Not found when in zone file

Chip Old fold at bcpl.net
Thu Apr 5 16:25:16 UTC 2001

The answer is in the 8.2.3 docs and in the FAQ.  In BIND 8.2 (I think) and
above, the TTL value in the SOA record reverts to what it is supposed to
be - the minimum TTL.  In BIND earlier than 8.2 the TTL in the SOA record
was treated as the default TTL.  In BIND 8.2 and up you must explicitly
set the default TTL by adding "$TTL xxxx" above the SOA record, like this:

$TTL 28800
@ IN SOA ns1.newevemedia.net. hostmaster.neweve.com. (
2001040503
10800
3600
604800
28800
)

Chip Old (Francis E. Old)               E-Mail:  fold at bcpl.net
Manager, BCPL Network Services          Voice:   410-887-6180
Manager, BCPL.NET Internet Services     FAX:     410-887-2091
Baltimore County Public Library         ICBM:    39.39910 N
320 York Road                                    76.60300 W
Towson, Maryland 21204 U.S.A.