Interesting problem.

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Apr 4 23:06:56 UTC 2001

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:40:12PM -0400, David R. Kirk wrote:
> Don't know if this has been checked yet, and not sure if this was covered,
> as you don't provide specifics as to domain name, but I'd check and see
> if there is a stale host record for the IP/host in question.
>
> Basically, query the NSI whois server for the hostname in question; if there
> is a host record in place, you'll see something like the following ...

Good idea, wrong server.  Query the name server.  DNS and WHOIS are two
totally different protocols, and may be inconsistent without attempts
to keep them consistent.

A WHOIS record may suggest the presence of a DNS record, though.

Oh, bother.  So glad I checked the headers.  David, NEVER post
something twice to this mailing list, i.e., by posting it both to the
mailing list address and the newsgroup address.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B