Bind and NAT

Tony Andrews tandrews at bemidji.k12.mn.us
Wed Apr 4 20:40:25 UTC 2001

Greetings...

After reading through the FAQs and the O'reilly DNS and BIND book, I'm not
certain I have seen anything that deals directly with the following issue.

I am in the process of simplifying my network through the use of both DHCP
and Network Address Translation.  All addresses "inside" our network will
be 10.x.x.x.  I am able to set up static translations at the router so
that hosts outside of our network can access the hosts inside our network
that need to be publicly available...  My dilemma is this:

Our ISP's nameserver is authoritative for our domain, yet they get their
information via zone transfers from my primary server...  so all of the
entries that I edit for hosts inside our network have globally routable ip
addresses associated with them, and of course all of my workstations on
the inside use my nameservers!  So if a teacher wants to take attendance
on our student management web server, they go to
"teacherweb.bemidji.k12.mn.us" which resolves to 204.73.x.x... but of
course the true ip address of that server on my network is 10.2.x.x!

I'm curious as to how others out there are resolving this issue... any
suggestions/ideas/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony Andrews
Systems Technology Coordinator
Bemidji Area Schools